Full Time Employee – Non Exempt
Salary range: $18.00 - $22 per hour
Plus Fringe Benefits
Supervision Received From: Maintenance & Construction Manager
General Hours of work: Generally works Monday through Thursday from 6am to 5pm. May be required to work weekends and evenings as work requires.
General Description of Duties: This position works under the direction of the Manager of Maintenance and Construction. An employee in this position is expected to have specific skills and experience in heavy equipment, construction, supervision and project leadership. This position is considered a labor position and as such is expected to be a self-starter, and to operate fairly independently with assigned duties and projects. Carries out skilled tasks in support of the mission of the Port. Works independently and may supervise or direct the work of others including employees, contractors and volunteers.
Individuals in this position will carry out a wide variety of tasks within the two sections of the department. (Building and Grounds Maintenance and Repair and Construction).
Examples of Tasks: Specific work tasks may include, but not be limited to the following:
The following tasks may be carried out in the Repair and Construction Section:
- Repair through a work order, and complete as identified.
- Using heavy equipment, (create a parking area, grading, ditching, etc.).
- Perform vehicle maintenance as requested.
- Complete carpentry, window or facility repairs.
- Remodeling of existing facilities.
- Reroof Port facilities.
- Complete drywall, carpentry and painting as directed.
- Supervise subordinate employees or sub-contractors as assigned.
- Be responsible for the proper care of vehicles and equipment.
- Other work or projects that may be assigned.
The following tasks may be carried out in the Building and Grounds Section:
- Mowing, edging, trimming and weed control, fertilization, tree pruning, plant and flower maintenance.
- Regular cleaning of all Port buildings. (Window cleaning, trash removal, floor cleaning and dusting).
- Supervise subordinate employees or subcontractors.
- Respond in a timely fashion to work orders.
- Coordinate with Event Coordinator regarding facility use on a daily basis; special events, and event planning.
- Maintain and repair irrigation system, take monthly readings of irrigation water usage and report to the Port Secretary.
- Be responsible for the proper care and operation of assigned equipment and vehicles,
- Maintenance of current buildings including; but not limited to, painting, plumbing, and installation and maintenance of Christmas lighting.
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
Other duties include:
- Flag vehicles during maintenance work on the bridge; direct park visitor traffic during periods of high traffic levels.
- Plow and sand roads.
- Respond to after hours emergencies.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Possess a Valid Oregon or Washington Driver’s License.
- Follow safe work practices.
- Complete assignments in a timely fashion.
- Work independently with instruction and/or direction, be a self-starter.
- Supervise others.
- Satisfactory completion of mandatory pre-employment drug testing.
- Ability to obtain a commercial endorsement if required.
- Obtain certificates as may be required.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Requires stamina and strength to perform physical labor on a regular basis.
- Requires ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Requires frequent bending, crouching, kneeling, stooping, reaching and crawling.
- Requires frequent lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 60 pounds.
- Requires occasional lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Requires ability to climb and balance.
- Work involves irregular work hours, including evening and weekend work.
- Work may involve irregular meal and rest periods.
- Worker may be required to be on call anytime of the day or night.
- Work involves a definable safety hazard and requires the use of safety equipment from time to time.
- Work is at times performed under conditions that expose employee to excessive heat, cold and moisture (rain or snow).
- Work is sometimes performed on slippery, uneven and steep surfaces at times, and in the proximity of moving equipment. Work is often performed at heights.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Must possess a high school diploma, GED or equivalent.
EVALUATION: New employees will be evaluated at 30, 60 and 90 days and then at the end of the six month probationary period. All employees are evaluated at least annually.